Welcome to Kids Rhythm and Rock’s annual Children’s Music Round Up! For those of you new to the site, at the end of each year, rather than doing a “Top 10” or a “Best of” list, I compile a list of albums that have come to my attention during the last 12 months and separate them into fun categories. The total number of albums that are included varies from year-to-year. This year 45 albums make an appearance in the list below.
The richness and depth that is family music just keeps growing. 2022 saw the introduction of new artists, established acts returning after creative hiatuses, and veteran performers taking risks and trying something new. Let’s say hello to 2023 by taking a look back at the “year that was” in children’s music. All albums are available online. Don’t see your favorites? Please add them in the comments.
Be Mindful, Be Kind
Music to guide our everyday lives.
- For Children of All Ages performed by You and Us
- Happy Day performed by Jenn Cleary
- Just a Minute performed by Jesse Jukebox
- Mosaic performed by Jumpin’ Jamie
- Nursery Rhymes for Kinder Times performed by Raffi and Lindsay Monroe
- Your Voice is Magic performed by Again Again
Sometimes it’s just more fun to sing with a friend.
- Best Day Ever performed by Stacey & Athena
- Dear Heart performed by Martin and Rose
- The Greats performed by Louis & Dan and the Invisible Band
- Smith & Yarn performed by Aaron Nigel Smith and Red Yarn
Festival de Música
Music in Spanish and English for the whole family to enjoy.
- Los Fabulosos performed by Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band
- Mi Colores performed by Nathalia
- Musiquita performed by Musiquita
Oh, to be Young
Perfect tunes for the preschool crowd
- Let’s Move performed by Katie Dwyer
- Echo Songs, Vol. 2 performed by Noodle Loaf
- Forgot My Oars performed by Tim Seston
- Rain Rain Go Away performed by Adam Steele
- Wondering performed by Music with Gina
Our Friends to the South
2022 was the year when music from Australia and New Zealand arrived on the scene.
- Are We There Yet? performed by Yeah Nah
- Benny and Friends performed by Benny Time
- Can You Hear the Sound? performed by The Lemon Drops
- Imaginarium performed by Itty Bitty Beats
- Sing for the Sea – Little Wild Ocean Friends by Claudia Robin Gunn
This was always my favorite category on Jeopardy!
- Aliens, Astronauts and Asteroids! performed by Steve Pullara and His Cool Beans Band
- Green Album performed by Gro-Town
- Imaginations performed by Paper Rainbows
- Magic Beans performed by Eric Herman and the Puppy Dogs
- Traveling Together performed by Brighter Light Brigade
- You Are Magic performed by Triple Rainbow
I’m a little bit rock ‘n’ roll!
- Moonwalking performed by Young Folk (Josh Lovelace)
- Nutmegger performed by Steve Elci and Friends
- Robots Don’t Tell Jokes performed by Kelli Welli
- That Friday Feeling performed by Brady Rymer and the Little Band That Could
Sweet Home, Chicago
All of these artists call Chicagoland home.
- Into the Little Blue House performed by Wendy & DB
- Sing & Soar performed by Nanny Nikki
- Space Cadet performed by Justin Roberts
- Welcome Spring performed by Little Miss Ann
The Children Are Our Future
These groups put young people front and center in creating and performing music that educates, entertains, and uplifts all those who listen to it.
- The Movement performed by Alphabet Rockers
- Multiply performed by The Wise Channel
Unique Musical Stylings
There was nothing else quite like these albums this year.
- Adults These Days performed by Greg Lato
- Dark Side of the Banana performed by Go Banana Go!
- Dinosaurs and Monsters performed by Howdytoons
- Mammal Music performed by Marko Polo
Music to get you moving and grooving.
- In the Pocket performed by Uncle Devin
- It’s Me, Ronnie Boy! performed by Ronnie Boy Kids
- Jukebox performed by Street Corner Symphony